What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a treatment that involves exfoliation and removal of vellus facial hair by using a scalpel (surgical blade).
Under this treatment, an oil-based cleanser is used to cleanse your skin. The skin is then dried, after which the practitioner applies gentle strokes of the scalpel along the skin surface to peel off dead skin cells and shave off unwanted facial hair. Finally, a warm towel is placed on your face to remove excess skin and hair. The result is a smooth and clean skin, and a radiant complexion.
While it is normal for you to have reservations about the use of a surgical blade on your face, the treatment is absolutely safe; provided it is performed by a licensed professional.
Dermaplaning and shaving are totally different!
A lot of people confuse dermaplaning with shaving; the use of a blade for hair removal being the primary source of confusion. However, while the treatment does involve shaving as such, there is a lot that separates the two.
The biggest differentiator is that dermaplaning is performed to remove vellus hair while shaving is done to get rid of terminal hair. Another point of difference is that you can shave yourself but you cannot perform dermaplaning at your home by yourself. Also, dermaplaning is a far more aggressive procedure than shaving. The purpose of this treatment too is a lot broader than just rooting out facial hair; dermaplaning is essentially a skin rejuvenation treatment.
Benefits of Dermaplaning
A well performed Dermaplaning treatment provides you with a host of benefits; such as:
• It minimizes wrinkles and fine lines.
• Your skin tone and texture both stand improved.
• Products such as serums, creams or lotions yield better results for your skin.
• The treatment could be used to fight pigmentation, acne scars and sun damage over the course of time.
• Dermaplaning gives immediate results; there is no downtime.
• Cellular proliferation is your best weapon to fight ageing effects and Dermaplaning promotes this process.
• It is safe and equally useful for all skin types; even the sensitive ones.
With its ever-so-apparent benefits and utility for all skin types, it’s not hard to understand why Dermaplaning has become such a raging trend. And for all you know, this skincare trend may just go on to become a norm!
Leave a Reply